Art Exhibit and Display Policy
The Newton County Library provides art exhibit and display spaces for public use. The Art Exhibit and Display Policy is developed in accordance with the Library’s mission, vision, and values. This policy is for use of the Library by external groups and individuals and does not apply to use by Library staff, the Friends of the Library, and groups collaborating with the Library on an exhibit or display. It applies to all spaces used by the public for exhibit or display, including the Library meeting room or other areas of the Library. The Library reserves its exhibit or display space for the primary purpose of presenting itself and the Friends of the Library to the community.
General Guidelines: Individuals and groups can reserve space by completing an application. Approval is the responsibility of Library administration.
1. The Newton County Library makes its exhibit and display space available for exhibit use by government agencies, organization, groups, and individuals for educational, cultural, intellectual, and artistic displays on equal terms regardless of opinion or affiliation.
2. The Library does not sponsor nor endorse the views of any individual or group using the exhibit and display spaces.
3. Although exhibit and display space is generally available on a first-come basis, the Library may give preference to exhibits that are timely and of general interest.
4. The Library administration may reject any exhibit that does not fit within the mission of the Library or that is not neat and presented attractively.
5. The Library administration reserves the right to deny requests for any reason and to remove exhibits and displays at any time, as it deems necessary and appropriate.
6. The exhibit or display will be on display for a minimum of one month to a maximum of three months. Exceptions are made by Library administration only.
7. Commercial displays or those advocating for or against political parties, platforms, or candidates are not appropriate.
8. Exhibits and displays must be suitable for viewing by individuals of all ages.
9. Users of exhibit and display space:
a. Sign an agreement agreeing to set-up and remove the exhibit or display according to the dates set forth on the agreement.
b. Sign a waiver of liability releasing the Library from any and all liability, such as in the following statement: The exhibit or display is at the risk of the displayer and any damages to or loss of any items is exclusively the responsibility of the displayer and not the Newton County Library or the Newton County government. This includes any damage done by Library or County personnel while handling these items or by the loss of items by theft.
c. Arkansas law provides immunity for the Newton County Library and Newton County government from liability for damages and nothing in this policy eliminates or waives that statutory immunity.
10. Altering or modifying the exhibit or display space is prohibited.
11. Any transactions that take place as a result of the exhibit or display being exhibited at the Newton County Library are not to be executed on Library or County property. The Library accepts donations from artists for works sold as a result of being on exhibit or display at the Library.
Setup and Removal:
1. The individual or group reserving space is required to provide all hardware and supplies for displaying materials and is responsible for installing and removing works.
2. Library staff will not be available to assist with an exhibit or display.
3. Both installation and removal must be completed during regular library hours. The individual or group installing the display shall be responsible for any damage caused to the exhibit or display space while installing or removing the exhibit or display.
4. The title of the exhibit and the name of the individual or group that is mounting it, as well as contact information, must appear prominently with the exhibit or display. No pricing information shall be posted with the works.
-- Policy approved by the Newton County Library Board: 04/02/2018 --